Some losses are kept in the shadows, either because they are unseen or perceived as unacceptable, shameful, or unworthy of grief. Some expressions of mourning are judged and shut down. There are many factors that obscure the free and unfettered expressions of grief. Here are just a few:
The nature of the relationship:
- relationships that were not approved by others
- the death of an ex-family member
- grieving a sibling one never knew
- your relationship is not recognized by others because they didn't know you had a close connection
- alienation by other family members
The way the person died may result in the loss being less supported than others (suicide, drug overdose, AIDS, violence, alcohol, miscarriage, abortion)
Your loss is not a person:
- a failed business
- unfulfilled dreams
- loss of function (such as dementia)
- loss of other aspects of health
And it may happen because you grieve differently than others expect, whether it be too visibly, not visibly enough, too loudly or too long.
When losses remain unacknowledged, grief waits in the body and may mutate into depression, anxiety, dullness and despair. What grief lays buried in you? How connected are you to your emotional body?
Contained within a supportive structure, this retreat is a gift of time and space to befriend vulnerable parts of ourselves, honour hidden sorrows and your right to mourn.
This retreat includes:
- grounding practices to quiet the mind and soothe the nervous system
- reflective processes and dialogue to access inner wisdom
- body-centred movement for integration
- ceremony to mark significant changes in our inner and outer landscapes, and as a vessel for mourning and release
- space to connect with and be supported by nature
- a nourishing lunch and snacks
- social silence (speaking only when necessary) outside of the program sessions
At the end of the day, this retreat date can include an evening thermal spa experience at Amerispa-Cantley, 5 minutes from our retreat location. Alternating between hot and cold facilitates calm and serenity to your body after a day of attending to your soul.
Ceremonies, reflective practices, expressive arts, and movement will vary at each retreat. For a more comprehensive retreat experience, consider registering for more than one retreat.
DEC 2-Hidden Sorrow Sacred Ground
Registration fees will be refunded (less a $25 processing fee) if you cancel 14 or more days prior to the retreat date. If you cancel between 13 days and 1 day in advance, a non-refundable credit (less a $25 processing fee) will be held for one year from the date of issue. Alternatively, during this period, your registration may be transferred to another person. No credit is available if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance or on the workshop's arrival day, if you do not show up, or if you leave an event early for any reason.
METHOD OF PAYMENT INFO:
By Internet e-transfer (Heart Land preference):
If you do internet banking, you can send money directly from a bank account to us. All you need is an email address, access to online or mobile banking at a participating financial institution and our email address:
For more information on sending an email money transfer click here.
If you pay by cheque, please make cheques out to Heart Land and mail to: 15 Rue Coallier, Gatineau Quebec, J9A 1E8.
E-transfers and Cheques must be received before we can gaurantee your spot. Once received, confirmation will be emailed to you along with a short questionaire for our retreat setup needs.