Time & Location
Mar 07, 2023, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Ottawa, Linden Terrace & Queen Elizabeth Driveway, Ottawa, ON K1S, Canada
About the Event
The Rideau Canal Skateway canal as we know it has changed because of climate change.
The longest skating rink in the world is a backbone of our community, with many diverse meanings, connections, and benefits for residents. The vigil will be a time to:
· Pause and acknowledge what is happening
· Honour feelings related to this loss within the support of community
· Be with the canal, not knowing whether it will freeze or freeze long enough to skate on in the years to come.
· Question and imagine what is ours to do.
· Nourish resilience and our capacity to act for positive change
Tuesday, March 7th
5:15 – 6:15 pm
Location: Patterson Park just east of the public washroom building, a few steps from Queen Elizabeth Parkway, overlooking Canal kilometre marker 2.6 on Patterson Creek
- Please dress warmly & bring extra layers
- Bring a camp chair if you would like to sit during the vigil.(optional)
Everyone welcome. Arriving at the vigil by foot, public transit and carpool is encouraged.
The Community Vigil for the Rideau Canal Skateway is hosted by Heart Land, in partnership with Community Deathcare Ottawa and Ecology Ottawa.
This is a free event, however we ask that you register if you are planning to come. This helps the coordinating team with our planning and allows us to contact you with event updates.
Contact name and email for information: Robin Macdonald, firstname.lastname@example.org